TOPIK, or Test of Proficiency in Korean, is a Korean language test held twice annually (usually in Apr and Oct). In Singapore, TOPIK is administered by the Singapore Korean International School.
TOPIK certification is required for non-natives who need to apply for official Korean documentation (eg. marriage, work visa, etc)
For students applying to Korean universities, some courses will require a minimum TOPIK level (check with the school for the specific course).
TOPIK certification can be included in your resume or scholarship application to increase your chances of working / studying in Korea!
|Level||Period||Section||Type||Number of questions||Points distribution||Maximum possible score|
|TOPIK I||1||Listening||Multiple choice questions||30||100||200|
|Reading Comprehension||Multiple choice questions||40||100|
|TOPIK II||1||Listening||Multiple choice questions||50||100||300|
|2||Reading Compression||Multiple choice questions||50||100|
For TOPIK 2, Grade 3 (120-149), Grade 4 (150-189), Grade 5 (190-229), Grade 6 (230-300).
|TOPIK I (Level 1 and 2)||TOPIK II (Level 3, 4, 5, 6)|
|Sublevel 1||Sublevel 2||Sublevel 3||Sublevel 4||Sublevel 5||Sublevel 6|
|Score||80 ~ 139||140 ~ 200||120 ~ 149||150 ~ 189||190 ~ 229||230 ~ 300|
2023 TOPIK Exam Details
90th TOPIK exam date for Singapore is 15 October Sunday.
There are usually 2 exam dates per year in Singapore (April and October).
There is only one exam center in Singapore, located at 71 Bukit Tinggi Road Singapore 289759 (Singapore Korean International School – SKIS).
Registration period for 90th TOPIK exam has not yet been officially announced.
Expected registration period will be around July / August.
TOPIK I: SGD$100
TOPIK II: SGD$120
Results are expected to be released on 30 November Thursday at 3pm (subject to changes)
2023: New Speaking Assessment
Extracted from the TOPIK website: topik.go.kr
2021 and 2022: Pilot tests conducted successfully
2023: Regular implementation, fee, and details yet to be announced. Test dates for Korea only have been announced.
- To guide those learning Korean as a second language to study in a way that helps improve their ability to communicate in Korean
- To evaluate the test-taker’s communication skills in Korean and allow them to use their test results in filing college applications, job applications, etc
- To enter a Korean college or graduate school and receive a scholarship in the case of foreigners or overseas Koreans who have completed 12 years of schooling abroad
- To be hired by a Korean company and obtain an excellent performance assessment results
- To apply for a visa to stay in Korea
- Overseas Korean or non-Korean whose first language is not Korean and who:
- is currently learning Korean or wishes to study at a Korean college;
- wishes to work for a Korean company or public agency based in or outside Korea.
- Korean national who is currently studying at or has graduated from a school abroad
It is valid for two years from the announcement of the test score.
You must have TOPIK I or TOPIK II test scores.
|Question||Question type||Prep time||Response time|
|1||Listen to and answer a simple question||20sec||30sec|
|2||Ask and answer in a familiar social situation||30sec||40sec|
|3||See a series of scenes and create a story||40sec||60sec|
|4||Listen to a dialog and answer the question||40sec||60sec|
|5||Explain the material and provide a critical analysis||70sec||80sec|
|6||Express opinion on the given topic||70sec||80sec|
|Content and task performance||Did he/she express him/herself appropriately for the given topic?|
Did he/she faithfully perform the given task?
Did the dialog flow in an organized and coherent manner?
|Command of the language||Did he/she use appropriate language considering the context of the dialog?|
Did he/she use rich and diverse vocabulary and expressions?
Did he/she use his/her vocabulary and expressions in an accurate way?
|Pronunciation and delivery||Was his/her speech comprehensible (satisfactory pronunciation and intonation)?|
Did he/she speak at a natural pace?
|Fail||Sublevel 1||Sublevel 2||Sublevel 3||Sublevel 4||Sublevel 5||Sublevel 6|
|Score||0 ~ 19||20 ~ 49||50 ~ 89||90 ~ 109||110 ~ 129||130 ~ 159||160 ~ 200|
Join our TOPIK Preparation Class and our teachers will explain everything!
Bookmark this page and check back for more updates as they are announced.