TOPIK, or Test of Proficiency in Korean, is a Korean language test held twice annually (usually in Apr and Oct). In Singapore, TOPIK is administered by the Singapore Korean International School.
TOPIK certification is required for non-natives who need to apply for official Korean documentation (eg. marriage, work visa, etc)
For students applying to Korean universities, some courses will require a minimum TOPIK level (check with the school for the specific course).
TOPIK certification can be included in your resume or scholarship application to increase your chances of working / studying in Korea!
|Level||Period||Section||Type||Number of questions||Points distribution||Maximum possible score|
|TOPIK I||1||Listening||Multiple choice questions||30||100||200|
|Reading Comprehension||Multiple choice questions||40||100|
|TOPIK II||1||Listening||Multiple choice questions||50||100||300|
|2||Reading Compression||Multiple choice questions||50||100|
For TOPIK 2, Grade 3 (120-149), Grade 4 (150-189), Grade 5 (190-229), Grade 6 (230-300).
|TOPIK I (Level 1 and 2)||TOPIK II (Level 3, 4, 5, 6)|
|Sublevel 1||Sublevel 2||Sublevel 3||Sublevel 4||Sublevel 5||Sublevel 6|
|Score||80 ~ 139||140 ~ 200||120 ~ 149||150 ~ 189||190 ~ 229||230 ~ 300|
2023 TOPIK Exam Details
There are usually 2 exam dates per year in Singapore (April and October).
Exam dates are expected to be released in January 2023
There is only one exam center in Singapore, located at 71 Bukit Tinggi Road Singapore 289759 (Singapore Korean International School).
- TOPIK I: SGD$100
- TOPIK II: SGD$120
2023: New Speaking Assessment
Extracted from the TOPIK website: topik.go.kr
2021 and 2022: Pilot tests conducted successfully
2023: Regular implementation, test date, fee, and details yet to be announced.
- To guide those learning Korean as a second language to study in a way that helps improve their ability to communicate in Korean
- To evaluate the test-taker’s communication skills in Korean and allow them to use their test results in filing college applications, job applications, etc
- To enter a Korean college or graduate school and receive a scholarship in the case of foreigners or overseas Koreans who have completed 12 years of schooling abroad
- To be hired by a Korean company and obtain an excellent performance assessment results
- To apply for a visa to stay in Korea
- Overseas Korean or non-Korean whose first language is not Korean and who:
- is currently learning Korean or wishes to study at a Korean college;
- wishes to work for a Korean company or public agency based in or outside Korea.
- Korean national who is currently studying at or has graduated from a school abroad
It is valid for two years from the announcement of the test score.
You must have TOPIK I or TOPIK II test scores.
Test method: Internet-Based Testing using computers
Test time: 30 minutes
Test questions: 6 questions
|Question||Question type||Prep time||Response time|
|1||Listen to and answer a simple question||20sec||30sec|
|2||Ask and answer in a familiar social situation||30sec||40sec|
|3||See a series of scenes and create a story||40sec||60sec|
|4||Listen to a dialog and answer the question||40sec||60sec|
|5||Explain the material and provide a critical analysis||70sec||80sec|
|6||Express opinion on the given topic||70sec||80sec|
|Content and task performance||Did he/she express him/herself appropriately for the given topic?|
Did he/she faithfully perform the given task?
Did the dialog flow in an organized and coherent manner?
|Command of the language||Did he/she use appropriate language considering the context of the dialog?|
Did he/she use rich and diverse vocabulary and expressions?
Did he/she use his/her vocabulary and expressions in an accurate way?
|Pronunciation and delivery||Was his/her speech comprehensible (satisfactory pronunciation and intonation)?|
Did he/she speak at a natural pace?
|Fail||Sublevel 1||Sublevel 2||Sublevel 3||Sublevel 4||Sublevel 5||Sublevel 6|
|Score||0 ~ 19||20 ~ 49||50 ~ 89||90 ~ 109||110 ~ 129||130 ~ 159||160 ~ 200|